Monday, August 3, 2009

Family

This weekend while at my best friends house, her husband was watching a show called "Gamer Generation". Now I don't know what channel it's on, or what time it normally plays, as they embrace the wonderful world of DVR, but I can tell you this: it was cool from several different aspects.
The basis of the show that I somewhat caught from joining half way through was that it was based in the middle east and it was focusing on First Person Shooter games that are marketed in America. The show focused on how they feel that Arabs are ususally depicted as the enemy in these games and also how researchers felt that the severely aggresive nature of the games was affecting the aggresive nature of the player. One researchers believed that there was no affect, but after conducting tests, found that there was a significant affect on the brain while someone is playing a First Person Shooter, and the aggresive tendencies can become much more intense. The other factor to incorporate is how young adults perceive theses games. Do they understand that is satirical and mocking fun? Or have they immersed themselves in the alternate reality. The matter reaches all over the world, and through all races and ages. How do video games really affect our social behavior?
Well I'm sure it's an enormous topic, one that truthfully I can't speak to all that well, nor have the time and space in this blog to deeply and thoroughly investigate into. I have never been a video game player. I have dated many video game enthusiasts, but now, at my ripe old age of 24 I feel like guys that have immersed their lives in a video game (take World of Warcraft for example) just need to get a life. It cliche, but it works. I dabbled in Sonic the Hedgehog back in the day, and the closest I got to any real destruction came from the classic Wolfenstein. But given I'm a female, and I think it's pretty obvious that most female are not usually drawn to the death and destruction that a First Person Shooter game brings. We'd prefer the cutsie Little Big World, or a personal favorite, Rachet and Clank. It's clear in research all over the country that First Person Shooter games can lead to a desensitized, anti-social and more aggressive nature. http://www.independent.com/news/2009/may/17/your-brain-video-games/

It's interesting from a cultural and musical perspective because you want to look at the kids. What happens in their minds to feel like these actions are okay? I understand for many there is the fore-thought that the game is fake, but for some younger players, they can not understand the difference. There is is most certainly a power handed over to the player that they do not get in the real world, that draws them into these positions. The ability to control ones fate is an intoxicating and addicting feeling I can only assume. A similiar situation has basically surrounded the careers of serious metal musicians, ie. Marilyn Manson or Rob Zombie. Marilyn Manson more so because of his unique attire I propose. I remember many years ago the kid that were arrested for a shooting, claiming that the lyrics of a Marilyn Manson song told them to do it and I watched in the den of my parents house, shaking my head quietly. I think the kid was about the same age as me at the time.
I think that just the idea that we are positively drawn to the idea of having control of another life becomes the basis of the argument. Do we feel like because we can not control our own fates, the idea of controling someone else's is that much more seductive? Our own lives are not something that we find interesting, so thus we cling to gossip and propaganda surrounding celebrities, from their frosted tips down to the designer toe rings. It seems as thought for a lot of us, our own lives are just not sufficient. We're not living our lives to the fullest, we feel we're missing something, an opportunity or the chance of a lifetime. We feel like we're living vicariously through these stars in the magazines, trying to act and look like them as best we can to ensure we are the image of perfection. So does this same image transcend through music? Absolutely. Through video games? it would just about seem so. The concept seems to be about the same, except that the image is something twisted, angry and violent. They are trying to create for themselves a persona in which they can control their fate and the fate of others. A persona where they are powerful, invincible and free in every sense of the word. This persona can become completely mind altering to someone who carries an anti-social personality and does not feel connected, personally and emotionally, to a community in the real world. They find a home with the others with these same tendencies and the online community grows until such things as marriages happen. It seems like a total unplugging from the real world. A true Matrix.
Have we all kind of become like this, perhaps to much less of an extreme? With our blackberries and iPhones? I mean, I know that I've written about this already, but it always seems to become interconnected as you pull from all the different aspects of society. No matter if it be the video games or the palms to television. We have consumed ourselves with the idea of becoming someone else. I mean, something as simple as coloring your hair. I'm guilty, I'm a natural blonde and I colored my hair red about 6 years ago and about 4 years ago went black. I have no idea what I would even look like as a blonde. oh well, people say it suits me, perhaps it's the tattoos.
Now, letting go of all these fantasies and and whimsical notions is like admitting to alcoholism or drug addiction. It is something that we feel is okay for ourselves, until someone throws it in our face and we begin to question our nature at some point or another. Some realize something is wrong, most others simply write it off. I recall my moment, and everyday I try and remind myself about what it is that makes me who I am and more specifically, like no one else. I do not need video games, or celebrity gossip to feel apart of something, I am a human being, a part of the human race. If that community isn't small enough for you, I'm not sure what is. We have to share the earth with so many others, and even though not one of us shares the same fingerprint or laugh and smile, we're all pretty much family.
So don't hurt each other.

No comments: